Sim Brothel v2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Danger, Will Robinson!

4 posters

Go down

Danger, Will Robinson! Empty Danger, Will Robinson!

Post  alasdair69 June 5th 2010, 10:05 pm

In an amazing case of laser guided irony, the very day that I posted that bit about how if you don't hear from me it probably means I'm working on the game I got hit with another one of those 'pretends to be an anti-virus program' viruses. This one called itself Antivirus Soft and proceeded to bollox up my internet connection so I couldn't update any of my REAL anti-virus programs to stop it but it could still download tons of fun malware for my hair-ripping pleasure. I've been trying every Windows function and program I could think of to at least keep it under control and tonight, after spending about 45 minutes arguing with it I finally managed to get some limited internet access back but I can already tell it's starting to act wonky again. I'm probably going to have to put the 'puter back in the shop to get rid of it completely and I won't be able to do that for at least another week (gotta wait for payday). I wanted to apologize to everyone for vanishing without a trace and let you guys know what's up and also warn everyone: when the first pop-up popped up the only sites I'd been on were Google, Wikipedia and the two SimBrothel forums and even if it had been on my system for a while before showing itself I hadn't gone anywhere online in the preceding week to week and a half that wasn't involving something to do with the game so everyone else should be very careful as well. Anyway, the upswing is that even if I can manage to get online periodically for short amounts of time I'm not going to do so to any great extent until I'm sure this beast is eradicated because I don't want to risk spreading it or give it too much chance to download something even worse onto my drive. I apologize again for the inconvenience but rest assured that as soon as I can get rid of this bugger I'll be back in force.

alasdair69
Story Writer
Story Writer

Back to top Go down

Danger, Will Robinson! Empty Re: Danger, Will Robinson!

Post  Joshua June 6th 2010, 2:15 pm

yea....i actually got attacked by the same thing, which is why iv been on the down low, inorder to fix it download, malewarebytes antispyware, and CCleaner, update both, and run them twice, should fix MOST of the problems, i still have some of the connection problems when opening a browser, but my firewall has been blocking a lot of incoming connections so. and after the first to third, Iexplorer fails to respond im fine.
Joshua
Joshua

Back to top Go down

Post  alasdair69 June 7th 2010, 12:32 am

I actually already had both programs you mentioned, along with Spybot, Bazooka, Window Washer, Super Antispyware, Ad-Aware, Cleanup and Microsoft Security Essentials (previous experience has left me somewhat paranoid, although I don't guess it's really paranoia if the internet really IS out to get you *snork*) and I was finally able to update all of them. The problem is that even after running them all repeatedly and Malwarebytes especially telling me that it found and removed the virus, there's still a backdoor and a few DSO Exploits (whatever the hells that is) that keep popping up every time I scan my system and I still have trouble accessing and staying connected to the internet (in fact, when I signed on to warn everyone I also caught up on this forum and was trying to do the same with the other one and in just that short period of time the whole thing froze up on me and I finally had to reboot) and everything runs a lot slower than it's supposed to. That's why I'm going to lay low for a while, only getting online periodically and only for quick bursts to check the forums, until I can have this beast professionally cleaned out. Because whether it's a factor of my general tech-illiteracy or whatever I tend to somehow manage to get all the really nasty viruses, the ones that eat the software, burn the hardware and give the user a serious social disease. *rolls eyes*

alasdair69
Story Writer
Story Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  Loup Garou June 7th 2010, 3:14 am

Good luck dealing with the virus.
Loup Garou
Loup Garou

Back to top Go down

Post  alasdair69 June 14th 2010, 1:01 am

Well, I've got bad news and good news. The bad news is that it's going to be approximately two weeks minimum before I'm back on my computer. The tech guys I finally broke down and took it to already have a room full of them from other people who got hit with the same bit of nasty I did and it's first come, first served. The good news is that I have all the SimBrothel stuff backed up on a zip drive and have managed to finagle occasional use of another (unfortunately not internet connected) computer so I can keep working on it, at least off and on. Reliable access to an internet connection is a little more problematic at the moment though, so I'll still pretty much be the bigfoot of the forum, with occasional sightings but very little concrete evidence of my existence. *snork* I know the timing on this sucked balls but believe me, if I could have prevented it I would have. Sad

alasdair69
Story Writer
Story Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  Loup Garou June 14th 2010, 2:19 am

OH MY GOD... IT'S BIG FOOT.....

Everyone be quiet... don't spook him. Sasquatch are not a direct danger. They are omnivores, but most of the meat they eat is like chipmunks and fish. The only real danger a frightened sasquatch presents is its survival response... throw a big rock and run for cover is the standard action. That is not too dangerous... unless you are accidentally in direct line of fire. A 500 lb bolder is not something you REALLY want to have land on you.

For now... let's just take videos and pictures... cast foot prints.. that kind of stuff. Sure, there are those those who would advocate killing one or at least pulling out a dart gun, but I think that, until we can prove a substantial population, we can only study these creatures from afar.
Loup Garou
Loup Garou

Back to top Go down

Post  Vava June 14th 2010, 10:46 am

Don't worry about it, Al. I found out last week that one of my friends had apparently caught the same thing on his computer; he had to back-up all his files and reformat his harddrive to get rid of it. :/ Anyway, hope your computer gets back in one piece.

Also, roughly thirty percent of all Oregonians are directly descended from Sasquatch, so spotting one isn't a big deal to me, anymore; I just have to walk around outside for five minutes. : P
Vava
Vava

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum