razzumfrazzum@#$%

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

razzumfrazzum@#$%

Post  alasdair69 on July 4th 2010, 11:53 am

Well I'm back, at least temporarily; exactly how temporarily is yet to be determined. I finally got my computer back from the techno-nerds yesterday and immediately realized that they'd only mostly fixed the problem. I can only assume that since they were so overwhelmed with people infected with the faux-antivirus virus they did whatever they do to get rid of that and called it a done deal without actively checking to make sure all the problems were solved, something they and I are going to have a very interesting discussion about when I call them on Monday. By clearing out all the extraneous crap though, they helped me do their job figure out what the real problem was, a pesky little virus called Alureon that burrows into the very bowels of the operating system and installs various malware in an attempt to get your passwords and credit card info and convince you to give the people who developed it money for their fraudulant products that are supposed to fix the problem they created. The good news is that I know how to get rid of it. The bad news is that the only way to do that is to back up absolutely everything, wipe the drive completely and do a brand new install of Windows, it's just that insidious and tenacious.

For the time being though I'm back in action and hopefully will be for long enough to get enough storage media to back up all 60-some gigs worth of various data I have on this beast in preparation for sending it off again to be reincarnated. And, as promised, I've been working on the game model on sundry other computers I could beg/borrow/steal time on while I wasn't able to get online and am currently putting the finishing touches on an entirely new Theme system that I'm pretty excited about. After that, I'm going to finally organize and codify all the disparate ideas that have been floating around my noggin all this time into a form I can share with you guys so we can all be on the same page. That is, as long as there's still someone around here who's willing to help me work on this thing anyway. Neutral

alasdair69
Story Writer
Story Writer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: razzumfrazzum@#$%

Post  Vava on July 4th 2010, 2:10 pm

Good to hear from you, again, and, yeah, that virus is a bitch (two of my friends had apparently gotten it, and they needed to wipe their computers, too). Fortunately, I don't think it's so ridiculously tenacious as to as install itself on whatever piece of data storage you put into your computer.

Oh, and HALLE-MOTHERF***ING-LUJAH! I've been waiting in utter boredom patiently for you to give us some more material to work on. I haven't been surfing around for images or writing stats due to a combination of lack of knowledge of the system and my current livelihood dilemma, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what you have been working on. :3

Vava

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  alasdair69 on July 4th 2010, 2:40 pm

Everything I've been able to find out about this thing online says that the only way to be 100% sure you've gotten rid of it is to wipe and reinstall, but that's 100% guaranteed to do the job, so that's my next course of action. Well, after buying loooooooooooooooots of zip drives anyway, I guess. *sigh*

And yeah, it picked the worst possible time to shut me down like that, didn't it?

Me: "Just give me a day or two to organize this stuff and I'll share everything I've got with everyone."
Virus: "I don't think so, beyotch!"
*snork*

Anyway, for that very reason (plus having to send my 'puter off for the aforementioned wiping and reinstallation at some point and the fact that my vacation ends tomorrow) I'm going to refrain from citing a timeframe for anything. If you haven't figured it out by now I was obviously a very bad boy in a past life or something so I'm apparently cursed in this one. Every time I make any kind of commitment or get close to accomplishing something really cool something weird and completely unexpected will come out of left field to screw me over. But just let me finish this Theme thing I'm working on (I've got a little bit more research and a fair amount of collation to do yet, but other than that it's pretty much done) and then organize all my notes, files and random demented musings and I'll be able to give everyone a fairly comprehensive idea of where I'm wanting to go with this and how it all ties together. Smile

alasdair69
Story Writer
Story Writer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vava on July 4th 2010, 10:33 pm

Kay. Also, I was wondering what your stance on the development group that's forming on the other forums. I mean, it would make sense to have the entire community working towards one common goal, but, at the same time, it seems they're aiming for something considerably different from what SimBrothel has been.

My call? Well, I'm really reserved as far as to who I'm willing to work with, and some of the things they're thinking of adding to their version... I'm not exactly sound with. But that's just me. :/

Vava

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  alasdair69 on July 5th 2010, 4:55 pm

Yah, I especially like how I was called a hypocrite (not by the guys in charge, admittedly) for not including furries even though that's been the rule from the very beginning and I haven't included any other extreme fetishes either but this RoninKai guy seems to be picking and choosing what to include or exclude based on nothing but his own personal preferences and no one says a word. To be fair, the only things he's outright refused thus far are the most extreme of the bunch (things like dismemberment and scat) but once you allow any of the more outre content it becomes a very slippery slope of where exactly to draw the line and constantly defending and justifying against people who want you to draw it further and further down the scale.

Also, RoninKai has said the exact same thing I did, that he wants to make a game by the fans and for the fans, but it really seems to just be by and for the half dozen or so people who have responded to his particular posts. It doesn't seem to have even occurred to him or anyone else to wonder what all the people who played and/or worked on the game before had to say on the matter, even though the same list of suggestions and complaints that I've been using to design my game model has been posted on that forum as well since the middle of October. I may be wrong about that and most of the aforementioned suggestions and complaints are pretty intuitive, but nobody's said anything so far to indicate that they've even read that list and if you haven't even read everything in your own forum how can you claim to be making a game for the majority of the fans?

None of which is to say that I think they're bad guys or doomed to failure because they want to include furries and haven't read the whole forum. They've certainly got the drive and energy to do the job if they can keep it up (I've been working on this project for almost a year now and I've seen a lot of people start out great just to be brought down by the realities of what they've undertaken) and a lot of good ideas (in fact, the vast majority of everything they've suggested has been included in my game model almost from the beginning, up to and including using a slideshow for the 'end of day' pics to allow viewing all the girls while still being able to concentrate on the daily results without having to hit the 'next' button a bazillion times). I'm especially impressed by the fact that they want to have a good idea of where they're going before they start trying to get there, which is exactly what I intended to do here but circumstances conspired against me. If they are doomed to failure, it's probably going to be because they actually think they have 'some pretty good code' or whatever it was RoninKai said, which is another sign that they haven't read the whole forum and means they're in for a pretty rude awakening the first time a real coder gets a good look at it. *snork*

All in all, I wish them luck but I have no intention of running over and helping them. Not only do I not post on that forum any more anyway but I've got my own baby to raise here. I wouldn't think any less of anyone (not that my opinion does or even should matter to you guys) who wants to pitch in on their project, either in addition to or instead of this one, and any of them are more than welcome to come pitch in on this one as well. Despite what RoninKai said about not being able to find "any rock solid info" on this project I know for a fact that links directly to this forum have been posted over there at least twice (yet another piece of evidence that he hasn't read the whole forum and yes, I know I've harped on that a lot and it's probably my OCD speaking but I honestly feel that you have to do your research before you can ever hope to succeed in a project like this one) and let's be honest, it's not that hard to find. Hells, just Google the damn thing if you're curious.

Anyway, The way I see it there are four possibilities:

1) They'll fail and we'll succeed, in which case we'll all still have a really cool game to play.
2) We'll fail and they'll succeed, in which case we'll all still have a really cool game to play.
3) Nobody will fail and we'll both succeed, in which case we'll have two really cool games to play, whether it's SimBro v2 and v3 or even v3 and v4! Shocked
4) Or both groups will fail, in which case SimBro will languish in limbo until the next group comes along to work on it, which is bound to happen sooner or later. Either way, while it would be disappointing, it wouldn't exactly be the end of the world as we know it.

alasdair69
Story Writer
Story Writer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loup Garou on July 10th 2010, 12:01 pm

The more I hear about individual choices of inclusion in the game, the more I wonder. Would it be possible to create an options program to go with the game that goes beyond the normal options section. One which would have an on/off switch for -- for lack of a better word -- fetishes. There would be like... 10 girls to a given fetish which would be added in to the mix when you turn on a given fetish. Some fetishes would never be added (pedophilia, for sure, and I would also NOT include any rape fantasy shit). But you could have a switch for lactation (I am not a lactation fan... I know I mention it a lot, but...), foot fetishes, MAYBE s/m (mild.... to say the least. no blood), and (I know... this is not going to be pleasing) furries -- but ONLY bi-pedal human form characters with beastly looks... no actual animals. I am sure the list can be expanded.

Some stipulations: When game is played for the first time, these options are NOT available. When they become available, all are turned off. The only way to turn them on is for the player to make the CHOICE. At the top of the page that comes up, there would be a statement that the player should only add those fetishes with which s/he would be comfortable. Below that statement is a list of the fetishes with a description (so the player can make an informed decision) and an on/off switch. If a player is prudish and disdains these behaviors, they never need to worry about it, because all of the fetishes are turned off. But for those who wish to explore the choices.......

This is only a brainstorming suggestion. Up to you to decide if it is feasible or not.

Loup Garou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loup Garou on July 10th 2010, 12:05 pm

Oh.... and I am pleased you have a functioning system and hope that you can get the true base of the problem taken care of as quickly and and as inexpensively as possible.

Loup Garou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Nice

Post  Malcolmx on July 11th 2010, 5:37 am

good to see people coming back I spent some time on the old forum and I thought that this project was abandoned or something I wonder when the full version will finally be finished I offered to find pictures but I don't think it's necessary now. Neutral Very Happy

Malcolmx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  alasdair69 on July 13th 2010, 9:33 am

Hey guys, sorry for being silent for so long but I figured I'd give you an update on how things are going. While still infected, my computer hasn't been doing too bad I guess. It gets a little wonky sometimes (especially if I get online for very long) and it slows waaaaaaaaaaaaay down if I'm on it for more than a couple of hours at a time, but as long as I run a bunch of system maintenance stuff to remove any nastiness the virus stuck on there before I shut it down it's usually okay (for a while, anyway) when I log on again the next time. But I'm putting it back in the shop again tomorrow morning and my tech-nerd promises me he can get rid of it completely this time, at no charge too since he didn't do it right the last time. Unfortunately, he also promises me he can do it without wiping and reinstalling Windows, which kind of worries me. Every single scrap of data I could find about this virus says that's the only way to be sure and given his already poor track record with getting rid of it, well let's just say that I'm only 'cautiously optimistic' and leave it at that. If I end up having to go through all this again in the near future because he overestimated his abilities or underestimated this virus I'm going to be looking for a new techno-nerd; I've dealt with this guy for years but there's got to be someone else in this area that can do the job properly.

On the SimBro front, I've been working on that new Theme system I talked about and it's going fairly well. I've got the research done and have started in on the collation but it takes a while to fully collate 529 pages of data, even when your computer doesn't bog down every few hours and need cleaning out and rebooting. Basically, I had the new Theme system (and the entire, for lack of a better term, 'girl system' for that matter) 99% done just by brainstorming ideas when I decided to do a little more formalized research on the specific girls we have already just to make sure I wasn't missing anything. And while it feels like it's taken forever (and I'm not done yet) I'm glad I did because it's given me a lot more really good ideas for specific Traits and Themes that I know will apply to several of those specific girls instead of ones that I just assume will probably apply to some of them, if that makes sense. It's also given me a better idea of who a lot of these girls are, since I was woefully unfamiliar with a lot of the ones who had been suggested, including some ideas as to possible 'Specials' for some of them.

Unfortunately, I have no clue how long I'm going to be completely without a computer this time, and this time around I won't have access to another one at all so everything is going to grind to a halt on my end until I get it back. In the meantime, I'd appreciate it if you guys could brainstorm some ideas for things like possible endings, Take a Walk events and the like, stuff that either doesn't depend on the final format of the play system or can be easily adapted to fit it no matter what form it takes. That would really help me a lot once I finally get my computer back and get this Theme system worked out and everything else codified to share with you guys. Smile

Anyway, thanks for all of your patience and here's hoping I get back in the swing of things as quickly as possible. *crosses fingers, toes, eyes, etc*

alasdair69
Story Writer
Story Writer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loup Garou on July 13th 2010, 12:16 pm

OH LORD.... WE BESEECH THEE... GET ALL THE FUCKING VIRUSES OUT OF ALASDAIR'S COMPUTER AND GET HIS SYSTEM UP AND RUNNING AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE.... amen.

That is all I can do for you, Alasdair.... hope it helps. Good luck.

Loup Garou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vava on August 16th 2010, 9:21 am

So... Outta curiosity, how's it coming along, Al? It's been almost a month since anyone's said anything on the forum...

... Oh, and, uh, sorry for not contributing any ideas in so long. I don't know how good my ideas would be on generic Take a Walk events, how the game will determine the ending (I know that meeting the monthly missions will cover most of it, but, aside from that, I wouldn't know what other factors should be incorporated), or which girls will be in the final list (I think -that- factor, alone, has generated a lot of lethargy :/).

Vava

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joshua on August 16th 2010, 11:39 am

i just got back but it seems i havent missed much, pc screen died on me, so while the pc is a ok, i cant see shit, so im not going to be able to log on as much as befor.

Joshua

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loup Garou on August 16th 2010, 2:19 pm

Without a screen, how the hell can you log in at all?

Loup Garou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joshua on August 16th 2010, 4:12 pm

second computer duh xD sorry didnt really explain much. oh and its the laptop that has the bad screen the pc is fine. (i even hooked it up to my tv and that didnt work for some reason.)

Joshua

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loup Garou on August 16th 2010, 4:19 pm

how about your reg pc's screen?

Loup Garou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joshua on August 16th 2010, 4:22 pm

damn i stop speaking (well typing) english for two measly months now everything is fucked up sigh

ok i have a laptop witch has a bad screen and a regular pc, the pc is what im using though i dont have as much freedom as with the laptop.

Joshua

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loup Garou on August 16th 2010, 4:34 pm

I thought your laptop had more of your data... the primary system. I was thinking that, while tv screens are not big on computer accessibility, a regular pc screen may be usable with the lap-top until you get the lap-top screen fixed or replaced. But hey... what do I know... I have a regular old pc... and never really considered a lap-top a necessity.

Loup Garou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loup Garou on August 16th 2010, 4:45 pm

Oh, and hey... Typed English is infinitely harder than spoken English to get oneself across clearly on first try. It has one ingredient missing... that is the subtlety of the human voice. One sentence can have a million meanings, and, without word emphasis, voice tone, facial expressions, hand gestures, etc., it is much easier for the reader to miss what the writer was shooting for. That is my way of saying, "Don't blame your 'lack of practice.' People misunderstand each other ALL the time on the internet. Even when both are using their primary language." 8-)

Loup Garou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joshua on August 16th 2010, 5:05 pm

yes the laptop has the majority of my data, i had to google alasdair69 name to find the form, and had to reset my password because that is one of the fewthings (the other being porn) that i have not backed up onto my external drive.

as for the pc screen, i tryed that too didnt work. not sure why though.

Joshua

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loup Garou on August 16th 2010, 5:10 pm

can you make your laptop an "external" hard drive? Have the pc use it as another memory source?

Loup Garou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joshua on August 16th 2010, 5:48 pm

maybe but i dont have cable to try something like that.

Joshua

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loup Garou on August 16th 2010, 6:41 pm

Ax around... maybe you can find a techno-nerd who has an understanding of the concept and the wire needed to hook it up.

Loup Garou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joshua on August 23rd 2010, 9:41 am

turns out my motherboard died now need to find a replacement, and dose nay one have a way of contacting our story writer?

Joshua

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loup Garou on August 23rd 2010, 11:08 am

Let us pray you can get the data out.

Loup Garou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vava on August 23rd 2010, 11:40 am

No idea on how to contact Al. I'm not sure if anyone around here knows a number or something to reach him by, either.

Vava

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:54 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum