Biorhythms

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Biorhythms

Post  Loup Garou on May 3rd 2010, 10:42 pm

but all three succubi we have so far (Kurumu, Morrigan and Lilith) have always been characterized in-continuity as monsters.

Were I designing the game, I would categorize them as demons. But I am not the man in charge. So you can put it in what ever category you wish. 8-)

Loup Garou

Posts : 147
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Biorhythms

Post  fred u derf on May 3rd 2010, 11:05 pm

alasdair69 wrote:
fred u derf wrote:yes, the age in days of the character on any given game day is the key. i thought i said this, sorry for not being clearer.
Oh you did make that much clear, but your formula, as presented, required calculating the age of the world and subtracting the time since that point that the particular character was born before doing anything else. I was just pointing out that doing so results in the age in days of the character anyway so why not just skip a couple of steps and start there.

sorry, obviously I did not describe the computations clearly enough. The calculation of the age of the world happens once, at the beginning of the game, and is incremented as each day unfolds. the age is needed in order to determine each character's age in days. We could record/update each character's age in days as the game progresses, but that would require (in my opinion) un-necessary storage overhead.

alasdair69 wrote:
fred u derf wrote:Nope. The average sum of a set of sinusoids of differing periods is *NOT* the same as the sinusoid of the average of the periods.

Jean Baptiste Joseph Fourier and all of the mathematicians and engineers building upon his work can not really be (and, fortunately, are not) that wrong.

Your telephone, your radio, your television, maybe even the power to your house strongly depend upon the way sums of sinusoids actually work together.

Most (well maybe just alot) of today's electronics very much depends upon the duality of functions in the Time domain vs the Frequency domain --- the essence of the Fourier Transform ---- which very much builds upon sums of sinusoids of differing frequencies.

And it is not in the manner that you assert.
*sigh* At no point did I say that they were the same. I simply said that they were “generally within 10%”, at least in the limited experimentation I did with a set of formula that made my head hurt about a theory I barely understand. A theory that 99% of the scientific community considers to be about a half step sideways from Flat Earth theory anyway. If this were a scientific publication then specific accuracy would be paramount, but it is not. It is a game about cartoon hookers. As such, I was merely suggesting that a reasonable approximation might be sufficient for in-game purposes and much simpler to implement. Your mileage obviously varies. Ce la vie.

And I was simply trying to point out that the sum of sinusoids comprising the biorhythm are *NOT* "generally within 10%"; irrespective of the pseudo-science of the biorhythm itself.

alasdair69 wrote:
fred u derf wrote:well maybe it is time to finally do just that - eh?
You know, I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you’re not aware of just how pompous and insulting you’re coming across as. I understand the frustration of having an idea picked apart by others and of wanting to get started but not having anything to work on yet, but it’s exactly this sort of confrontational ‘my way or the highway’ attitude that made it impossible to get anything accomplished on the other forum. I refuse to apologize again for taking my time making sure my game model is the best it can be and I refuse to add any ideas to it until I’m satisfied I understand how they will affect everything else. Seeing as how I’m pretty much the only person who even bothered to consider biorhythms when you first suggested them, I hope you can respect that.

Okey Dokey I am pompous and insulting, so be it. Trying to find out more about the game play is off-limits. Got It.

'my way or the highway' attiitude --- me? what? where? are you projecting some prior issue onto me, perhaps?

Frustration about discussing a game feature? yes, because there seems to be no real counter to the points being presented.

Frustration about being picked apart? Not on my side, but I guess on yours, since you bring 'being picked apart' up as a topic in the first place. I do not think that anything discussed in the Biorhythms thread as 'being picked apart", rather I see it as a discussion amongst individuals with good opinions about making this game the best that it can be.

Oh, and I guess pointing out a failure in alasdair69's analysis now makes me dis-respectful also, so be it.
Yet another reason to ignore my input.

fred u derf
Coder
Coder

Posts : 54
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-12-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Biorhythms

Post  alasdair69 on May 4th 2010, 1:35 am

Loup Garou wrote:Were I designing the game, I would categorize them as demons. But I am not the man in charge. So you can put it in what ever category you wish. 8-)
It personally makes no never mind to me one way or the other how they're categorized. I put them in the monsters section because A) that's how they're all categorized by their original creators in their respective continuities, B) it reflects the Japanese myth/folklore atmosphere that I think gives this game some of it's pizzazz and C) it helped to balance out the numbers in each category. If everyone wants them moved to the demon category though, I have no real objection.

alasdair69
Story Writer
Story Writer

Posts : 199
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2009-12-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Biorhythms

Post  Raed on May 4th 2010, 1:42 am

fred u derf wrote:
alasdair69 wrote:
fred u derf wrote:well maybe it is time to finally do just that - eh?
You know, I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you’re not aware of just how pompous and insulting you’re coming across as. I understand the frustration of having an idea picked apart by others and of wanting to get started but not having anything to work on yet, but it’s exactly this sort of confrontational ‘my way or the highway’ attitude that made it impossible to get anything accomplished on the other forum. I refuse to apologize again for taking my time making sure my game model is the best it can be and I refuse to add any ideas to it until I’m satisfied I understand how they will affect everything else. Seeing as how I’m pretty much the only person who even bothered to consider biorhythms when you first suggested them, I hope you can respect that.

Okey Dokey I am pompous and insulting, so be it. Trying to find out more about the game play is off-limits. Got It.

'my way or the highway' attiitude --- me? what? where? are you projecting some prior issue onto me, perhaps?

Frustration about discussing a game feature? yes, because there seems to be no real counter to the points being presented.

Frustration about being picked apart? Not on my side, but I guess on yours, since you bring 'being picked apart' up as a topic in the first place. I do not think that anything discussed in the Biorhythms thread as 'being picked apart", rather I see it as a discussion amongst individuals with good opinions about making this game the best that it can be.

Oh, and I guess pointing out a failure in alasdair69's analysis now makes me dis-respectful also, so be it.
Yet another reason to ignore my input.

Do you two even know why you're arguing? Because fred accidentally misinterpreted that you wanted to know about the coding. As far as I know, Alasdair, you still don't care about the coding. He's the coder, that's his thing. All of those formulas went over my head, but as far as I can tell, you'd need more numbers to even test these formulas(Maximum influence for each cycle, how they average out, time between wavelength peaks, etc.). In the end, you aren't going to know what he did to code it, no matter how he does it. If he wants to do it the hard way (not that I know if its the hard way), then let him.

Fred, he's just trying to simplify your work, and the
fred u derf wrote:well maybe it is time to finally do just that - eh?
comment comes off as rude, not the general questioning of formulas.

You two need to take a minute to relax, it's practically proven that people work together better when they're not trying to kill each other.

On a side note,
Alasdair, what are Bakemono? the description made them sound like a way to justify furries? I thought we were against that.

Raed
Admin

Posts : 97
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-11-30
Age : 30
Location : MA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Biorhythms

Post  alasdair69 on May 4th 2010, 2:44 am

fred u derf wrote:sorry, obviously I did not describe the computations clearly enough. The calculation of the age of the world happens once, at the beginning of the game, and is incremented as each day unfolds. the age is needed in order to determine each character's age in days. We could record/update each character's age in days as the game progresses, but that would require (in my opinion) un-necessary storage overhead.
Or you could just determine each character's age in days at the beginning and then add the number of the game day you're on whenever you do the calculation. But either way it's your idea and you'd be the one doing the work to code it so whatever works for you in that respect is fine with me. I was just offering suggestions.

fred u derf wrote:And I was simply trying to point out that the sum of sinusoids comprising the biorhythm are *NOT* "generally within 10%"; irrespective of the pseudo-science of the biorhythm itself.
Fine, I screwed up. I admitted from the beginning that my understanding of the formulae involved was rudimentary at best. Again, I was just trying to offer suggestions to simplify things for you.

fred u derf wrote:Okey Dokey I am pompous and insulting, so be it. Trying to find out more about the game play is off-limits. Got It.

'my way or the highway' attiitude --- me? what? where? are you projecting some prior issue onto me, perhaps?

Frustration about discussing a game feature? yes, because there seems to be no real counter to the points being presented.

Frustration about being picked apart? Not on my side, but I guess on yours, since you bring 'being picked apart' up as a topic in the first place. I do not think that anything discussed in the Biorhythms thread as 'being picked apart", rather I see it as a discussion amongst individuals with good opinions about making this game the best that it can be.

Oh, and I guess pointing out a failure in alasdair69's analysis now makes me dis-respectful also, so be it.
Yet another reason to ignore my input.
Against my better judgement, I'm actually going to respond to this. If you actually read my post you'd see that I did not say you were pompous and insulting, simply that you were coming across as behaving that way. And I further said that I assumed you didn't realize you were even doing so. We all get carried away sometimes and say things in ways that can be misinterpreted, which is what I was assuming was happening here. And trying to find out more about game-play is fine, it's even encouraged, but prompting me three times in the same post to show equations that I've stated on numerous occasions I don't know enough about programming to even come up with is a bit much.

As for the 'my way or the highway' attitude, there were some issues pertaining to that on the other forum but I wasn't projecting anything, far from it, in fact. Instead I was reacting to the attitude your comments have conveyed, intentionally or not, that reminded me of it. To wit, every time someone has proposed a reservation about including biorhythms or a suggested alteration of how they might be incorporated you have adamantly refused even a pretense of compromise (beyond a token offer to turn them off for certain characters, which itself seemingly came grudgingly) whilst simultaneously throwing out a stream of scientific discourse that most of us, if it doesn't go completely over our heads to begin with, couldn't care less about. We're not here to create a scientific model of biorhythms in action, we're here to create a game. If biorhythms can be adapted to work within the internal logic of that game then I think they'd be a welcome addition, if not then they won't be included. If they can't be so adapted because of your refusal to budge on even the most minute detail then it's your pet project that suffers, the game will go on. And that's not just true of biorhythms either, but of every idea by any of us.

I'm glad to see you characterize the situation so far as "a discussion amongst individuals with good opinions about making this game the best that it can be", because I see it the same way. My references to the different types of frustration you might be feeling were simply attempts to understand why you might have been unwittingly framing your comments in a way that gave the impression of semi-hostile condescension. And my 'picking apart' analogy was in reference to the natural, and generally neccesary, process involved in dissecting any new idea to determine what makes it tick and how it can be adjusted to fit into the appropriate context, adjustments which you have, to be fair, seemed steadfastly opposed to.

And finally no, pointing out a failure in my analysis just makes you more knowledgeable about the subject than me, a fact which I've already admitted. Essentially telling the game designer to back off and let you do what you want (which is what "well maybe it is time to finally do just that" seemed to imply) made you disrespectful. But I'm willing to chalk it up to a bad day all around and get back to working together to make SimBrothel the best game possible if you are. What do you say?


Last edited by alasdair69 on May 4th 2010, 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I forgot a parenthesis (Hey, I'm OCD, remember?) LOL)

alasdair69
Story Writer
Story Writer

Posts : 199
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2009-12-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Biorhythms

Post  alasdair69 on May 4th 2010, 3:24 am

Raed wrote:Do you two even know why you're arguing? Because fred accidentally misinterpreted that you wanted to know about the coding. As far as I know, Alasdair, you still don't care about the coding. He's the coder, that's his thing. All of those formulas went over my head, but as far as I can tell, you'd need more numbers to even test these formulas(Maximum influence for each cycle, how they average out, time between wavelength peaks, etc.). In the end, you aren't going to know what he did to code it, no matter how he does it. If he wants to do it the hard way (not that I know if its the hard way), then let him.
Sorry Raed, you slipped this in while I was working on my response to Fred but the bottom line is that we're not fighting, I'm not anyway. I'm still hoping that he just didn't realize how offensive a tone he was projecting and now that we've cleared the air it's all roses.

Raed wrote:On a side note,
Alasdair, what are Bakemono? the description made them sound like a way to justify furries? I thought we were against that.
Bakemono, as I mentioned, is one of those uniquely Japanese concepts that I still haven't quite been able to translate into English simply and effectively but it boils down to them being almost-but-not-quite furries. Furries are more or less 50/50 animal/human hybrids, they have fur (hence the name) and their heads and generally their legs aren't even close to human shape. Krystal from StarFox is a prime example. Bakemono on the other hand are ... more complex. In the original Japanese folktales they're really animals who, typically through living a very long time, approach human-level intelligence and gain the ability to shapeshift into human form although usually retaining some indicator of their animal nature such as ears and/or a tail. Blair would be a classic bakemono and Fran would be a good example of what a rabbit bakemono could be expected to look like in human form. In-game, with the Slave Market ones stuck in human form through magic and something similar that I haven't decided on yet for the rest, they're essentially just hot chicks with bunny/cat/dog ears and the occasional tail.

Oh, and if the idea of animals that take on human form after living a long time seems a little out there to you, it could always be worse. One of the Touhou chicks is an umbrella who did the same thing. LOL

alasdair69
Story Writer
Story Writer

Posts : 199
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2009-12-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Biorhythms

Post  Loup Garou on May 4th 2010, 4:15 am

To quote the late 20th century philosopher, Rodney King, "Why can't we all just get along?"

8-)

You know... I really think y'all should create a once a week (or ever 2 weeks... or once a month... or what ever) meeting in the chat room where all can gather and exchange ideas. The meetings can deal with anything from blowing off steam to overcoming a specific bug. Have all those involved find a day of the week and a given time (using a single universal time like Greenwich mean time so all are actually aware of the meeting time) that fits schedules. Decide on the amount of time you will meet (though it doesn't have to limit discussions to that time... when meeting is over, those who wish to stick around to finish a conversation are welcome). I think you can work around concepts better that way. Misunderstandings are less likely, and would be cleared up more quickly.

JUST an idea... 8-)

Loup Garou

Posts : 147
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-01-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Biorhythms

Post  fred u derf on May 4th 2010, 2:14 pm

alasdair69 wrote:
fred u derf wrote:sorry, obviously I did not describe the computations clearly enough. The calculation of the age of the world happens once, at the beginning of the game, and is incremented as each day unfolds. the age is needed in order to determine each character's age in days. We could record/update each character's age in days as the game progresses, but that would require (in my opinion) un-necessary storage overhead.
Or you could just determine each character's age in days at the beginning and then add the number of the game day you're on whenever you do the calculation. But either way it's your idea and you'd be the one doing the work to code it so whatever works for you in that respect is fine with me. I was just offering suggestions.

fred u derf wrote:And I was simply trying to point out that the sum of sinusoids comprising the biorhythm are *NOT* "generally within 10%"; irrespective of the pseudo-science of the biorhythm itself.
Fine, I screwed up. I admitted from the beginning that my understanding of the formulae involved was rudimentary at best. Again, I was just trying to offer suggestions to simplify things for you.

fred u derf wrote:Okey Dokey I am pompous and insulting, so be it. Trying to find out more about the game play is off-limits. Got It.

'my way or the highway' attiitude --- me? what? where? are you projecting some prior issue onto me, perhaps?

Frustration about discussing a game feature? yes, because there seems to be no real counter to the points being presented.

Frustration about being picked apart? Not on my side, but I guess on yours, since you bring 'being picked apart' up as a topic in the first place. I do not think that anything discussed in the Biorhythms thread as 'being picked apart", rather I see it as a discussion amongst individuals with good opinions about making this game the best that it can be.

Oh, and I guess pointing out a failure in alasdair69's analysis now makes me dis-respectful also, so be it.
Yet another reason to ignore my input.
Against my better judgement, I'm actually going to respond to this. If you actually read my post you'd see that I did not say you were pompous and insulting, simply that you were coming across as behaving that way. And I further said that I assumed you didn't realize you were even doing so. We all get carried away sometimes and say things in ways that can be misinterpreted, which is what I was assuming was happening here. And trying to find out more about game-play is fine, it's even encouraged, but prompting me three times in the same post to show equations that I've stated on numerous occasions I don't know enough about programming to even come up with is a bit much.

As for the 'my way or the highway' attitude, there were some issues pertaining to that on the other forum but I wasn't projecting anything, far from it, in fact. Instead I was reacting to the attitude your comments have conveyed, intentionally or not, that reminded me of it. To wit, every time someone has proposed a reservation about including biorhythms or a suggested alteration of how they might be incorporated you have adamantly refused even a pretense of compromise (beyond a token offer to turn them off for certain characters, which itself seemingly came grudgingly) whilst simultaneously throwing out a stream of scientific discourse that most of us, if it doesn't go completely over our heads to begin with, couldn't care less about. We're not here to create a scientific model of biorhythms in action, we're here to create a game. If biorhythms can be adapted to work within the internal logic of that game then I think they'd be a welcome addition, if not then they won't be included. If they can't be so adapted because of your refusal to budge on even the most minute detail then it's your pet project that suffers, the game will go on. And that's not just true of biorhythms either, but of every idea by any of us.

I'm glad to see you characterize the situation so far as "a discussion amongst individuals with good opinions about making this game the best that it can be", because I see it the same way. My references to the different types of frustration you might be feeling were simply attempts to understand why you might have been unwittingly framing your comments in a way that gave the impression of semi-hostile condescension. And my 'picking apart' analogy was in reference to the natural, and generally neccesary, process involved in dissecting any new idea to determine what makes it tick and how it can be adjusted to fit into the appropriate context, adjustments which you have, to be fair, seemed steadfastly opposed to.

And finally no, pointing out a failure in my analysis just makes you more knowledgeable about the subject than me, a fact which I've already admitted. Essentially telling the game designer to back off and let you do what you want (which is what "well maybe it is time to finally do just that" seemed to imply) made you disrespectful. But I'm willing to chalk it up to a bad day all around and get back to working together to make SimBrothel the best game possible if you are. What do you say?

I am not sure why alasdair69 insists on psychoanalysing me - attributing to me attitudes and feelings that aren't present - condenscension, pomposity, insulting nature, etc.

He did get correct that I feel frustration, but not because of any direct discussion on this thread. Rather a frustration over the appalling (to me) lack of progress. 5 months with nothing to show for it except a much larger pool of girls. Frustrating!

I, for one, have found this thread to be most instructive.

I now know a little bit more about what alasdair69 is *NOT* doing, but still do not have any clue as to what he *IS* doing. But still, knowing what not to expect is useful.

I now know a little bit more the rules of discourse in the forum. Such as: (a) That apparently silence is considered steadfast opposition. (b) That one must be careful when selecting the level of detail in the discussion (even when asked for the details). (c) That apparently no one is interested in including science in a discussion. (d) That apparently one needs to include some level of fawning idolatry in the words one uses or one will be deemed as having an inappropriate attitude.

These are all Good Things to know.


Earlier in this thread I posted this message:
fred u derf wrote:
alasdair69 wrote:I just delineate a set of factors that influence an outcome, indicate which have more or less influence than the others, then stand back and let you guys do your work.

well maybe it is time to finally do just that - eh?

if you find this comment to be rude and/or dis-respectful, I apologize. But when taken in its context, I firmly believe in and stand steadfast with this comment.

fred u derf
Coder
Coder

Posts : 54
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-12-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Biorhythms

Post  alasdair69 on May 4th 2010, 4:58 pm

This is the last olive branch I’m going to extend.


fred u derf wrote:I am not sure why alasdair69 insists on psychoanalysing me - attributing to me attitudes and feelings that aren't present - condenscension, pomposity, insulting nature, etc.
The only psychoanalysis that I’ve engaged in thus far has been to assume you didn’t intend to come off sounding like an ass and weren’t aware that’s what you were doing. I stated that from the very beginning and have reiterated it at least once that I can recall clearly, perhaps more. I have never ascribed any of the aforementioned attributes to you directly, instead carefully crafting my responses to refer strictly to your comments and the way in which they could be perceived. However, since I’m apparently to be vilified for it then I might as well do it and attribute the following attitude/feeling directly to you: defensiveness. If phrases like

“I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you’re not aware of just how pompous and insulting you’re coming across as.”
“We all get carried away sometimes and say things in ways that can be misinterpreted, which is what I was assuming was happening here.”
“…the attitude your comments have conveyed, intentionally or not…”
“…might have been unwittingly framing your comments in a way that gave the impression of semi-hostile condescension.”
“…which you have, to be fair, seemed steadfastly opposed to.” and
“…which is what "well maybe it is time to finally do just that" seemed to imply…”

are interpreted by you as personal attacks then I don’t know what to tell you except that you’re obviously being too sensitive.


fred u derf wrote:He did get correct that I feel frustration, but not because of any direct discussion on this thread. Rather a frustration over the appalling (to me) lack of progress. 5 months with nothing to show for it except a much larger pool of girls. Frustrating!
I agree completely and whether you choose to believe it or not I’m just as frustrated by it as you are. The reasons for the delays and a multitude of apologies for them are scattered hither and yon throughout this forum so I won’t go into it again, but there is one thing I’ve said before that I would like to reiterate. I’ve tried several times to get other people to suggest game-play ideas or brainstorm ways to improve various aspects of the game mechanic but I’ve always been greeted by a rousing round of silence. I’ve even suggested that it would be a good idea for someone else to be working on a game model also. That way we’d all have multiple ideas to choose from and if I got hit by a bus or something and disappeared from the forum then at least there would be a backup plan. Again, naught but chirping crickets. I’m truly sorry that I can’t show you more progress, but if it’s going to be entirely my baby then I’m going to make damn sure I raise it right. If that’s not sufficient for you or anyone else then, as I’ve repeatedly pointed out, there are more productive avenues available than simply haranguing me. Whether or not anyone sees fit to take advantage of them isn’t going to keep me up at night.


fred u derf wrote:I now know a little bit more about what alasdair69 is *NOT* doing, but still do not have any clue as to what he *IS* doing. But still, knowing what not to expect is useful.
There is a difference between not doing and not done, but again you can believe what you like.


fred u derf wrote:I now know a little bit more the rules of discourse in the forum. Such as: (a) That apparently silence is considered steadfast opposition.

Actually silence, of the sort that characterized more or less your entire involvement in this forum until you brought up your own little pet project, is pretty much considered to indicate apathy. However, repeated snarky-sounding comments like “If I must accept the existence of monsters in the game then I do not see that requiring those monsters to have a biorhythm is any bothersome stretch of the imagination.” and “It seems that I am the only one that is not really bothered by whether or a not robots, monster, demons, fairies, or whatever non-human character you have actually has a biorhythm.” can be perceived as opposition, yes.


fred u derf wrote:(b) That one must be careful when selecting the level of detail in the discussion (even when asked for the details). (c) That apparently no one is interested in including science in a discussion.
The first one I’ll grant you, after all bringing up “the duality of functions in the Time domain vs the Frequency domain --- the essence of the Fourier Transform” might be just a tad much when discussing ways to simplify the implementation of a protocol that would do nothing beyond helping to determine if computer game characters had a good day or a bad day. The second one, not so much. I am personally very interested in science as, I think, are most of the rest of our fellow forumites. But one must remember that this is not a scientific forum, it’s a game creation forum, and once you include magic, demons and humanoid robots into that game by necessity there’s going to need to be some give and take on the hard science aspect of things.


fred u derf wrote:(d) That apparently one needs to include some level of fawning idolatry in the words one uses or one will be deemed as having an inappropriate attitude.
Funny, I was just thinking the same thing. Wink


fred u derf wrote:if you find this comment to be rude and/or dis-respectful, I apologize. But when taken in its context, I firmly believe in and stand steadfast with this comment.
And I respect that, I truly do. I would never ask or expect anyone to compromise their strongly held opinions or beliefs, no matter what those might be. Nor will I compromise mine. I sincerely hope that you and I can work together to make SimBrothel the best it can be, but should that prove impossible for whatever reason please know that I’ve valued your contributions and ideas highly.

alasdair69
Story Writer
Story Writer

Posts : 199
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2009-12-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Biorhythms

Post  fred u derf on May 5th 2010, 10:57 am

alasdair69 wrote:This is the last olive branch I’m going to extend.


fred u derf wrote:I am not sure why alasdair69 insists on psychoanalysing me - attributing to me attitudes and feelings that aren't present - condenscension, pomposity, insulting nature, etc.
The only psychoanalysis that I’ve engaged in thus far has been to assume you didn’t intend to come off sounding like an ass and weren’t aware that’s what you were doing. I stated that from the very beginning and have reiterated it at least once that I can recall clearly, perhaps more. I have never ascribed any of the aforementioned attributes to you directly, instead carefully crafting my responses to refer strictly to your comments and the way in which they could be perceived. However, since I’m apparently to be vilified for it then I might as well do it and attribute the following attitude/feeling directly to you: defensiveness. If phrases like

“I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you’re not aware of just how pompous and insulting you’re coming across as.”
“We all get carried away sometimes and say things in ways that can be misinterpreted, which is what I was assuming was happening here.”
“…the attitude your comments have conveyed, intentionally or not…”
“…might have been unwittingly framing your comments in a way that gave the impression of semi-hostile condescension.”
“…which you have, to be fair, seemed steadfastly opposed to.” and
“…which is what "well maybe it is time to finally do just that" seemed to imply…”

are interpreted by you as personal attacks then I don’t know what to tell you except that you’re obviously being too sensitive.

This distinction between percieved-attribution and direct-attribution is important to you. I apologize for not recognizing and acknowledging that distinction.

it would appear that we are both guilty of being overly defensive (at least I see a perception of that) during this discussion. and that is unfortunate. I apologize.

alasdair69 wrote:
fred u derf wrote:He did get correct that I feel frustration, but not because of any direct discussion on this thread. Rather a frustration over the appalling (to me) lack of progress. 5 months with nothing to show for it except a much larger pool of girls. Frustrating!
I agree completely and whether you choose to believe it or not I’m just as frustrated by it as you are. The reasons for the delays and a multitude of apologies for them are scattered hither and yon throughout this forum so I won’t go into it again, but there is one thing I’ve said before that I would like to reiterate. I’ve tried several times to get other people to suggest game-play ideas or brainstorm ways to improve various aspects of the game mechanic but I’ve always been greeted by a rousing round of silence. I’ve even suggested that it would be a good idea for someone else to be working on a game model also. That way we’d all have multiple ideas to choose from and if I got hit by a bus or something and disappeared from the forum then at least there would be a backup plan. Again, naught but chirping crickets. I’m truly sorry that I can’t show you more progress, but if it’s going to be entirely my baby then I’m going to make damn sure I raise it right. If that’s not sufficient for you or anyone else then, as I’ve repeatedly pointed out, there are more productive avenues available than simply haranguing me. Whether or not anyone sees fit to take advantage of them isn’t going to keep me up at night.

I am sorry that I have been inattentive to your calls for help.

Apparently, my forum browsing skill are also rather lacking because I am unable to locate any call for help other than the "Mars Needs Women" thread and you seem to have gotten alot of response to that.

alasdair69 wrote:
fred u derf wrote:I now know a little bit more about what alasdair69 is *NOT* doing, but still do not have any clue as to what he *IS* doing. But still, knowing what not to expect is useful.
There is a difference between not doing and not done, but again you can believe what you like.

I am sorry but I do not understand what you are trying to say here. We know you are not doing equations and we know you are not done. Please clarify.

I apologize for being such a luddite.

alasdair69 wrote:
fred u derf wrote:I now know a little bit more the rules of discourse in the forum. Such as: (a) That apparently silence is considered steadfast opposition.

Actually silence, of the sort that characterized more or less your entire involvement in this forum until you brought up your own little pet project, is pretty much considered to indicate apathy. However, repeated snarky-sounding comments like “If I must accept the existence of monsters in the game then I do not see that requiring those monsters to have a biorhythm is any bothersome stretch of the imagination.” and “It seems that I am the only one that is not really bothered by whether or a not robots, monster, demons, fairies, or whatever non-human character you have actually has a biorhythm.” can be perceived as opposition, yes.

Right. Apathy. That whole "HaXe Release" section of this forum more or less demonstrates my level of apathy regarding SimBrothel.

You appear to be insecure in your decision to include non-humans in the game. I apologize for not being more sensitive to this percieved insecurity.

I happen to agree that inclusion of non-humans will make the game more interesting. I apologize for not phrasing my comments in a way that reflects my agreement with the inclusion of non-humans.

alasdair69 wrote:
fred u derf wrote:(b) That one must be careful when selecting the level of detail in the discussion (even when asked for the details). (c) That apparently no one is interested in including science in a discussion.
The first one I’ll grant you, after all bringing up “the duality of functions in the Time domain vs the Frequency domain --- the essence of the Fourier Transform” might be just a tad much when discussing ways to simplify the implementation of a protocol that would do nothing beyond helping to determine if computer game characters had a good day or a bad day. The second one, not so much. I am personally very interested in science as, I think, are most of the rest of our fellow forumites. But one must remember that this is not a scientific forum, it’s a game creation forum, and once you include magic, demons and humanoid robots into that game by necessity there’s going to need to be some give and take on the hard science aspect of things.

I apologize for over complicating the discussion. I should have pointed out that your proposed simplification of the biorhythm computation does not work and left it at that. Trying to give our fellow forumites at bit of additional information that they might Google if they so desired in order to pursue reason in more detail was too much.

alasdair69 wrote:
fred u derf wrote:(d) That apparently one needs to include some level of fawning idolatry in the words one uses or one will be deemed as having an inappropriate attitude.
Funny, I was just thinking the same thing. ;)


fred u derf wrote:if you find this comment to be rude and/or dis-respectful, I apologize. But when taken in its context, I firmly believe in and stand steadfast with this comment.
And I respect that, I truly do. I would never ask or expect anyone to compromise their strongly held opinions or beliefs, no matter what those might be. Nor will I compromise mine. I sincerely hope that you and I can work together to make SimBrothel the best it can be, but should that prove impossible for whatever reason please know that I’ve valued your contributions and ideas highly.

And yet you left out the context of my comment, how very odd.

I too look forward a time in the future when we can collaborate on making SimBrothel the best game it can be.

fred u derf
Coder
Coder

Posts : 54
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-12-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Biorhythms

Post  Joshua on May 5th 2010, 4:35 pm

well, sorry im late, and i will pretend certain parts of this topic arent there, Biorhythms, i honestly dont know a lot about this, however the only thing i do know is from fire emblem, in the 9th and 10th (i think these are the numbers) games,

they introduce the biorythems, which were rather simple, and while i could help it could weaken certain units,
im not tring to say how ti works or what ever, im just showing how they used it as a game mechanic,

there are 5 levels, normal, good, best, bad, and worst.

this is nephennes biorythem from one of the two games,

as you can see each dot, is a battle or a day, in the game, and when it reaches the end it goes back, in her case she has no worse or best, and she seems to be mostly balanced, this is the biorhythm C, only other female with it is marcia,


that is biorythem F, used by mia tatania and mist,

the effect are the following,
Best: +10 Hit, +10 Avoid, +10% Skill activation, +20% Chance of finding hidden items
Good: +5 Hit, +5 Avoid, +5% Skill activation, +10% Chance of finding hidden items
Normal: No effect
Bad: -5 Hit, -5 Avoid, -5% Skill activation, -10% Chance of finding hidden items
Worst: -10 Hit, -10 Avoid, -10% Skill activation, -20% Chance of finding hidden items

im not saying to just copy and past, but maybe this will grant a foothold, in seeing if the idea is applicable or not

Joshua

Posts : 232
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-12-04
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Biorhythms

Post  alasdair69 on May 6th 2010, 12:56 am

fred u derf wrote:Right. Apathy. That whole "HaXe Release" section of this forum more or less demonstrates my level of apathy regarding SimBrothel.
You are correct. I had forgotten about that, for which I sincerely apologize.

alasdair69
Story Writer
Story Writer

Posts : 199
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2009-12-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Biorhythms

Post  Joshua on May 6th 2010, 8:04 pm

speaking of Haxe flash bro, not to sound pushy but are you thinking of realeasing one with a save feature any time soon? or are you still waiting for the story department or something similar? since i found under help you wanted some one to volunter to help with it.

Joshua

Posts : 232
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-12-04
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Biorhythms

Post  Joshua on May 9th 2010, 1:45 pm

uh bump? any one?

Joshua

Posts : 232
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-12-04
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Biorhythms

Post  Vava on May 9th 2010, 2:31 pm

Well... I haven't been quite sure just what to say about this since my previous posts. I think you've pointed the idea in the right direction, at least; we need to have the in-game effects detailed. The flow chart examples you presented, coupled with a description of their effects, is what I think we need to have clarified first and foremost. However, we all certainly have our own ideas on how this should work, and trying to come to an agreement post-by-post might prove to be difficult... Loup suggested that we all try to determine some sort of date and time in which we could discuss this actively. So... Let's see... Using the forum's clock (which appears to be US Central), I'm usually available from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m., Sunday through Friday (Saturday's are being dedicated to my roleplaying group IRL).

Vava

Posts : 165
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-04-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Biorhythms

Post  fred u derf on May 9th 2010, 4:25 pm

Joshua wrote:speaking of Haxe flash bro, not to sound pushy but are you thinking of realeasing one with a save feature any time soon? or are you still waiting for the story department or something similar? since i found under help you wanted some one to volunter to help with it.

load/save feature addition is in work. please be patient.

fred u derf
Coder
Coder

Posts : 54
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-12-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Biorhythms

Post  Joshua on May 9th 2010, 4:59 pm

ah sorry, its just that its quite around here, and i think there is a dev team part of the form we regular users cant see.

Joshua

Posts : 232
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-12-04
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Biorhythms

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:53 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum