View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  fred u derf on January 15th 2010, 12:18 am

this post may be misplaced. it is not a java version of the game nor is it a c# version rather it is a haXe(flash) version.

note that this is my first attempt at packaging a haXe(flash) application so I have very probably missed some essential component of the game.

please only download if you are adventurous and are able to deal with probable packaging mistakes.
rapidshare link: http://rapidshare.com/files/335497132/2010.01.14___hxSBv2.tar.gz.html

(note that there are intentionally only 10 downloads of the above, please only download if you are seriously gonna supply feedback, thanks, fud).

installation: download the above .tar.gz file; unpack that .tar.gz file; launch the swf file contained in the unpacked folder.

Please let me know whether or not you are able to actually play the game.

Thanks
---fud
_______
essentially Chicken Little said: "Fear! Uncertainty! Dread!" e.g. FUD

fred u derf
Coder
Coder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2010.01.14

Post  fred u derf on January 15th 2010, 12:42 am

I should also point out that there are (at least) 3 SIGNIFICANT issues with this haXe(flash) version:

1) Not able to Save/Load games

2) several of the screens have a textual numeric input field. it may be difficult to actually select the field in order to enter your number (e.g. you might think that you have properly clicked your mouse in the field in order to activate it, but the field may still ignore any digits you enter) I have tried to provide an Slider (click the triangle next to the field) as an alternative input method.

3) when browsing your Girls you are given the option of viewing them as Icons or as a table (e.g. a spreadsheet-like view). when viewing the Girls as a table you may sort them by clicking the column headings and then view a specific girl by left clicking on her row in the table. when closing that detail view you may experience selection problems from the tabular view. closing the Girl browser should resolve.

---fud

(p.s. Did I mention that Save/Load of Games is not implemented yet?)

fred u derf
Coder
Coder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raed on January 15th 2010, 2:28 am

Moved.

I'd recommend raising the limit of downloads, because even if you say you don't want random people downloading, they most likely will nevertheless, preventing people who actually want to help from helping. Fortunately for now, there may only be 10 people looking at the forums, do that won't be an issue.

What kind of feedback are you looking for? Just overall thoughts and opinions? The game is still very buggy in general.

Make the compression something more commonly used like .zip to avoid confusion. And you had your folder double compressed?

Some bugs I noticed were..
  • The loan menu shouldn't be a part of the game's toolbar, but in the game itself.
  • The forums link in Help on the toolbar isn't clickable or copyable.
  • Odd lag when clicking buttons from main menu?
  • Gallery makes you pay to use slave organization?
  • Take A Walk ends your day.
  • Themes can be activated with one girl.
  • Girls obtained through "Take a Walk" start with 0 health.
  • Using the "All" organization button should be restricted to gallery mode.
  • Obtain Jokers on totally random days.
  • Girls icon images have to be shown in a certain ratio, so some of the images look odd in the giant space on the girls page.
  • Girls are referred to as items on the scrollover popup for expenses, price, and earnings, on the girls page.
  • The game plays not maximized, but doesn't work properly in smaller resolutions. Most of the screen gets cut off and nothing shrinks to size. A better option would probably be to give it one solid resolution and not allow that to be changed.

On the other hand, the Icons list actually came out looking good. But I'd suggest changing the folders to actual images, or just little notches without actual folders. Like a little header that shows separation between ranks and whatnot.

I'm editing some of the girls images to better follow the ratio required for the Icon set.

Raed
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fred u derf on January 15th 2010, 11:20 am

What kind of feedback are you looking for? Just overall thoughts and opinions? The game is still very buggy in general.

Sorry I should have indicated the nature of the desired feedback in my original message. I was afraid that I had mis-packaged the game and that it would be completely unplayable due some missing forgotten component. I am actually pretty amazed that you were able to play the game al!

Make the compression something more commonly used like .zip to avoid confusion. And you had your folder double compressed?

Ok will try to select a different format next time. No double compression. Tar is a unix utility that collects several files into a single file. Gz (gzip) is a file compression utilitiy. Zip does both of those things at once (only zip compression is rather weak).

Some bugs I noticed were..
* The loan menu shouldn't be a part of the game's toolbar, but in the game itself.

This was intentional. When you are trying to purchase a building and run out of gold, i thought it would be useful to get a loan right on the spot and so can easily conclude the purchase.

However, getting a loan takes time. So you are right it should not be a menu item. But should be a button that advances the day (like taking a walk).

* The forums link in Help on the toolbar isn't clickable or copyable.

Ok. and it probably should link to this forum rather than that grand-dad forum.

* Odd lag when clicking buttons from main menu?

Lag? do you mean the New Game and Gallery buttons on the Front Porch? if so this is because the game is loading up its data files and that just takes time (i really should display a dialog asking for patience). also there is probably a delay on the very first time you select Take a Walk from the game screen -- this is when i load the data files describing the various quests -- but the data is kept in memory so the delay should only happen once....

Did you notice any other delays?

* Gallery makes you pay to use slave organization?

Yes. I wuz lazy. Actually the Gallery displays All of the girls in the game right from the get-go. So selecting amongst owned, buyable, and slave market isn't really appropriate -- i should disable those buttons when showing the Gallery.

* Take A Walk ends your day.

Yes. Walking about on your Quest takes time.

* Themes can be activated with one girl.

Yes. The influence of the Girl's styles upon a Building is a function of the number of rooms in that Building. So if the building has very few rooms, fewer girls work there, and hence each of those girl's styles has a larger influence on the Building.

Each girl working at the Old Shack, with just 3 rooms, is necessarily different style-wise than those same individual girls working at say the Central Palace....

The above reasoning may not be very coherent, sorry, but it makes sense to me...

* Girls obtained through "Take a Walk" start with 0 health.

Ok.

* Using the "All" organization button should be restricted to gallery mode.

Why?

* Obtain Jokers on totally random days.

You get a Joker generally every week (7 days by default, but you can customize that) but it happens randomly.
You also get a Joker every month (30 days by default) if you have successfully completed that month's Mission, this is intentionally not random.

* Girls icon images have to be shown in a certain ratio, so some of the images look odd in the giant space on the girls page.

I have not had the time to figure out how to resize images using the GUI widget set that i use - aSwing, a port of the Java Swing widgets to ActionScript3.

Will definitely need to fix this if the haXe version continues, probably by moving to a different widget set (i have other issues with the aSwing widgets).

Or perhaps better just move to Java and use Swing.

* Girls are referred to as items on the scrollover popup for expenses, price, and earnings, on the girls page.

Ok.

* The game plays not maximized, but doesn't work properly in smaller resolutions. Most of the screen gets cut off and nothing shrinks to size. A better option would probably be to give it one solid resolution and not allow that to be changed.

Ok. part of my issues with the aSwing widgets....

On the other hand, the Icons list actually came out looking good. But I'd suggest changing the folders to actual images, or just little notches without actual folders. Like a little header that shows separation between ranks and whatnot.

I would prefer other images for the folders in the GirlBrowser ---- do you have any?

Thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback!
---fud

fred u derf
Coder
Coder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blastburn on January 15th 2010, 1:06 pm

*ears burn* Images? like what?
Also with this new style would you like me to begin work on finding a "Girl Card" that compliments the new Layout? or is the Grey background subject to change too? as long as i know what is going on i can make images to impliment to make the Game images look more... standard.

Blastburn
Artist
Artist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fred u derf on January 15th 2010, 1:36 pm

Were you able to download the haXe version?

Also with this new style would you like me to begin work on finding a "Girl Card" that compliments the new Layout? or is the Grey background subject to change too? as long as i know what is going on i can make images to impliment to make the Game images look more... standard.

For me there is nothing official nor fixed-in-stone about the UI in the haXe version. It was just my first guess at a UI that kinda-sorta matched the C# version from way back in May of '09. And, as you can tell, I am not a Graphic Designer; so the haXe UI suffers from both its history and the lack of talent of its author....

Any suggestion(s) for improving the UI would be welcome.

The imagery I would appreciate assistance with is replacing the generic folder image used in the Girl Browser when you have chosen to Group By either Rank, Skill, or Style. An image representative of each rather than the generic Folder image is desirable.

Also you will notice that several of the Buildings have the exact same image. A representative image for each Buildings would be great also.

I know there has been discussion in the past of using a Map to navigate around the various Buildings and other locations. I do not believe that the current UI is amenable to that. But having a Map as the controlling top-level element might be an interesting idea to explore...

Thanks for your time.
---fud

fred u derf
Coder
Coder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raed on January 15th 2010, 3:55 pm

fud wrote:This was intentional. When you are trying to purchase a building and run out of gold, i thought it would be useful to get a loan right on the spot and so can easily conclude the purchase.
However, getting a loan takes time. So you are right it should not be a menu item. But should be a button that advances the day (like taking a walk).
fud wrote:Yes. Walking about on your Quest takes time.
Perhaps there should be an option on the daily log, where you set up who's boss and how they're going to work (ie. Quantity/Quality), choosing which you would like to do, and make more actions like that, and an option to do nothing. I don't like there being a button other than the Next Day button to start the actions.

fud wrote: * Using the "All" organization button should be restricted to gallery mode.

Why?
In normal game play, clicking view all allows you to purchase every girl via Slave Market and Buy Girl menus, I was under the impression that there would be a random generator for which girls were available in each.

fud wrote:You get a Joker generally every week (7 days by default, but you can customize that) but it happens randomly.
You also get a Joker every month (30 days by default) if you have successfully completed that month's Mission, this is intentionally not random.
The customize menu should be made more.. User Friendly, as well as add ticks for things like loli, to turn them off. Weekly Jokers also shouldn't be able to be submitted for Joker Girls. When I said totally random, I didn't mean it as a.. Measurement? I just meant it was random. Sometimes I would get it twice in a row, sometimes not for a while.

As for images, the aspect ratio just needs to be something like 3:4, and the images have to be vertical. So girls like Ryoko need to have their images replaced. It would be nice to have small images prepared to fit in the icon space, and full images for the actual space, though.

Raed
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fred u derf on January 15th 2010, 10:23 pm

Perhaps there should be an option on the daily log, where you set up who's boss and how they're going to work (ie. Quantity/Quality), choosing which you would like to do, and make more actions like that,

browse the Buildings you already own. you can do these things here and more...

and an option to do nothing.

Huh? if you want to do nothing then do not click anything? Confused.

I don't like there being a button other than the Next Day button to start the actions.

again I am confused. the buttons do what the buttons do. Is your issue that there are no clear Instructions regarding what action(s) each of the GUI elements actually perform in the game?

In normal game play, clicking view all allows you to purchase every girl via Slave Market and Buy Girl menus, I was under the impression that there would be a random generator for which girls were available in each.

In normal game play, clicking the Slave Market button allows you to purchase every girl in the market (if you have enuf gold). And clicking Buy Girls allows you to purchace every other buyable girl. So 2 button clicks vs 1 button click ---- I do not understand the issue.

Yes. At the end of each day the girls in the Slave Market vs Buy Girls is randomized.

You may check the state of each girl by viewing All girls As Table, the Situation column indicates each girl's state.

The customize menu should be made more.. User Friendly, as well as add ticks for things like loli, to turn them off.

Yes. the Customize game selector needs work.

Weekly Jokers also shouldn't be able to be submitted for Joker Girls.

I am sorry, I guess that I am really dense, I just do not understand this sentence.

When I said totally random, I didn't mean it as a.. Measurement? I just meant it was random. Sometimes I would get it twice in a row, sometimes not for a while.

well I lied about the weekly, random, joker. I thought is was generally 1 joker per week (and the custom game screen implies it is awarded at the end of the week). these things are not the way the random joker is currently implemented.

instead the random joker is indeed awarded randomly. the probablitity of award is high at the beginning of the game and diminishes as the game progresses. this probability differs depending upon which level of difficulty (easy, normal, or hard) that you have selected.

randomly awarded really means randomly awarded. if the gods of randomness are smiling you might get a couple (or more) of jokers in a row and if they are frowning you might not get any for awhile.... hey, its random...

having said this, i just played an Easy game, and got jokers way more often than i intended.

Clearly this needs tweaking.

Thanks for the Input!

As for images, the aspect ratio just needs to be something like 3:4, and the images have to be vertical. So girls like Ryoko need to have their images replaced. It would be nice to have small images prepared to fit in the icon space, and full images for the actual space, though.

The aspect ratio of 3:4 for the icons was an arbitrary choice on my part. Can easily do a 4:3 ratio.

The 4:3 ratio is better, i think, for the other contexts for the images.

so i think is is better to strive for a 4:3 or maybe even 16:9 aspect ratio. and then i'll just have to adapt to that.

note that there are image manipulation algorithms (pixel bashing) that can reasonably re-size any image, well actually i think the algorithms down-size big images in a nice way. Java Swing has built-in facilities for doing that. The aSwing widget set that i use for this game does not seem to have those facilities (that i can easily find) -- so that is why some of the images are weirdly warped -- i haven't spent the time necessary to implement proper image resizing.

In the longer run, I think the Java version of the game might benefit from defining some basic image acceptability rules: aspect ratio, colour depth, pixel dimension, background colour, border effect, and so on....

Thanks for your time.
---fud

fred u derf
Coder
Coder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raed on January 15th 2010, 11:07 pm

fred u derf wrote:
Perhaps there should be an option on the daily log, where you set up who's boss and how they're going to work (ie. Quantity/Quality), choosing which you would like to do, and make more actions like that,

browse the Buildings you already own. you can do these things here and more...

and an option to do nothing.

Huh? if you want to do nothing then do not click anything? Confused.

I don't like there being a button other than the Next Day button to start the actions.

again I am confused. the buttons do what the buttons do. Is your issue that there are no clear Instructions regarding what action(s) each of the GUI elements actually perform in the game?
I'm sorry, this was all supposed to be one comment. I did a bad job explaining. I meant having an option on the daily log to choose between having to Take a Walk, get a loan, or other things of the sort, instead of having buttons for Take a Walk and Get a loan. Understand? I said this because I don't like that there's a button that advances the day except the button labeled "New Day."

fud wrote:
Weekly Jokers also shouldn't be able to be submitted for Joker Girls.
I am sorry, I guess that I am really dense, I just do not understand this sentence.
Meaning every seven days (or so) you can get a new Joker girl, the girls that are supposed to be exclusively for completing missions, with the joker it gives you.

fud wrote:

The aspect ratio of 3:4 for the icons was an arbitrary choice on my part. Can easily do a 4:3 ratio.

The 4:3 ratio is better, i think, for the other contexts for the images.

so i think is is better to strive for a 4:3 or maybe even 16:9 aspect ratio. and then i'll just have to adapt to that.

note that there are image manipulation algorithms (pixel bashing) that can reasonably re-size any image, well actually i think the algorithms down-size big images in a nice way. Java Swing has built-in facilities for doing that. The aSwing widget set that i use for this game does not seem to have those facilities (that i can easily find) -- so that is why some of the images are weirdly warped -- i haven't spent the time necessary to implement proper image resizing.

In the longer run, I think the Java version of the game might benefit from defining some basic image acceptability rules: aspect ratio, colour depth, pixel dimension, background colour, border effect, and so on....

Thanks for your time.
---fud
I don't know if it is exactly 3:4, but I like how it's set up, I don't think images would work as well with 4:3. I was thinking we should go with face shots anyways, and apparently someone from the old forums agrees, seeing as they suggested the same thing. Maybe go with 1:1.

Raed
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fred u derf on January 16th 2010, 3:36 pm

I mis-spoke in my earlier replies on this thread regarding both Jokers and the Slave Market that I would like to correct for the Record(tm).

1) Jokers:

in this prototype there are 3 ways to be awarded a Joker. 1) on the last day of a month, if you have successfully completed that month's Mission. 2) on the last day of every week. and 3) on any day randomly with a probability that disminishes as the number of days you have played increases. these randomly daily jokers are currently awarded way more often than should be.

2) Buy Girls vs Slave Market.

I incorrectly stated that the girls available for purchase either via the Buiy Girls or Slave Market buttons is randomized each day. This is not true.

The set of Girls in the Buy Girls category does not change (well it does if you actually buy or sell a girl...)

The set of Girls in the Slave Market is randomized each day, some are hidden, some are visible, when clicking the Slave Market button.

All of them are visible when clicking the All button (and paying the entry fee).

fred u derf
Coder
Coder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:51 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top